Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Food Stamps

I was taught a very important lesson by a diverse group of women. That Food stamps are for people who need help buying good food for there families, and that they come from diverse backgrounds. And just because someone is wearing NIKE or Jordan's and I'm sitting there in clearance slip on's does not mean we are not deserving.

When I was growing up I was always told people that live off the system are fat and lazy and get under the table jobs to keep the benefit's they were receiving. And that our tax money was paying for them to stay at home and be lazy.Well I need that help now and Ive paid into those taxes. And I really do need the help and I'm by far not lazy.

Ive come to understand that we live in a totally different time then when I grew up. And even though its still hard for me to ask for help I will bite the bullet and get the nutritious food my family needs. I'm not a bad person and neither is anyone else looking for help.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Very true. It's hard to admit we have stereotypical views and I applaud you for looking at yourself to examine this. I have some, too, and am constantly surprised when they are challenged. (((HUGS)))

ram said...

You are so right. You can't tell where a person has been by the clothes he wears or how he looks. You said some wise things here for sure.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I really hate that stereotype because I get food stamps. And I def do not sit at home!! I am out there working very hard but do not make enough to feed my family.