Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Eco-friendly and cheap home decor ideas

Some Ideas of Eco-friendly and cheap home decor came about when I visited my neighbors home. My neighbor is 79 years old and shovels her drive way and even mows her own lawn. She is also handy with power tools.
Would you ever believe that this was once a bathroom sink. Originally Found at Penny's Outlet center, it was a damaged floor piece. There is a marble sink inlay, broken of course. My Neighbor got them to sell her the sink for 30$ cause to fix the marble or to replace it would have been very costly. I'm sure the company was happy to make any money on a broken floor piece. This is now a cabinet in her living room. She had taken a solid piece of wood cut it to fit beveled the edges to keep the details, and had a stain colored to match the original. Original cost was over 400.00. The Eco-friendly part is that this is a new piece of furniture that will not end up in a landfill and will most likely become a family heirloom.


Another few works of art she has made has given me many ideas. Not that Iv had time to make my own someday I will.
This was infants changing table. Found in a garage sale, its solid wood. She stained and buffed out the ware and tare. Its now its her buffet in her dining room.

Here is a rocking stool part of a glider set. she bought it also at a garage sale and reupholstered it. Now it matches the rooms in her home.


Most ideas are trash to treasure, and just pure bargain hunting. If you have the time to repair and re-due something you can create anything. You can also expand on this by using renewable products, such as bamboo fabric when reupholstering items.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Figuring out how to do this can really give you so many options. Thanks for the ideas and I love seeing the finished pictures.

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.